Saturday, June 07, 2003

First days in Canada

I was remembering my first days in Canada. We had applied for immigration to Quebec because I could speak French and when I was applying in Syria I noticed that Quebec immigration center is flying the flies ( Pashe mipparoone!) so I went there and ...
It took us 3 months to get the immigration papers and after 6 months we were ready to move ( me and my wife). We arrived in Montreal. A friend had rented an apartment for us, a little bit expensive but acceptable in our situation. the funny thing was that I started to speak French at the airport ( Mirable at the time) but surprisingly I could not understand a word. I backed off and started to speak English at least everybody was speaking a second language and for me it was easier to communicate. After a couple of months I was used to the strong French accent of Quebeqers and I started timidly to speak French.
The worst part of those days was my first appointment with an immigration officer concerning the employment. Because I already knew speaking French I did not took part in Quebec government's French courses. I got to the office and I started to talk about my situation and the fact that I had not been able to find any job yet. With an arrogant attitude she explained how we were considered under qualified and as an engineer I would better go and find a technician or a simple job and after a few years I should start to attain the high level of qualifications required here in Canada, I was reminded about the difficulties of immigration to Canada too ( something we knew already!). You know what? I was stunned. As an immigration officer she should not talk to me like that. Her impression of immigrants was a bunch of guys coming from nowhere( Poshte kooh) and who don't distinguish their left hands from right and their engineering credentials are equivalent to elementary schools in Canada. Now I see how that woman has been sincere about his feelings and how bad she has been selected for that job. Many people think the very same way here but they don't speak out their minds. However after September 11th I am seeing more of those kind of reactions and talks. Any ways I did not listen to that bitch and instead I followed the recommendations of a fellow compatriot, I applied for a graduate program at Montreal university, after getting my master degrees I got a job quickly. Life is better now and I have realized that like any other place you can find all kind of people here, some people are snub some people are not, just open up, don't generalize and try to have a strong connection to your own ethnic community or people like yourself.
Anyways you should work your way out and prove that you deserve what you are asking for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,You were lucky to applied so many years ago! now it took 3 years to got a visa for immigration to Quebec! and ofcourse work situation is not the same either :((